A Traveller's Tale.


Dear Diary,

Sometimes in life you meet some people who leave you spellbound. I recently had the amazing opportunity of meeting someone like that. She was not  a popular celebrity or someone very rich and famous, but her actions have etched her in my memory forever.

 It was around one in the afternoon and I was returning from college.I met her in the train, she was seated next to me.I was engrossed in Louisa May Alcott's novel 'Little Women' while she was rummaging through her bag, searching for something.

After two minutes, she suddenly thrust her palm out offering me salted peanuts in a newspaper. I was surprised and politely turned her down. She insisted, and told me to eat some. I told her that I was on my home for for lunch. She smiled. That's when I took this picture :



One may wonder what's so novel about this,

It's quite common for people who travel together and know each other to talk, sometimes even share their food, but to do so with a random stranger is difficult and this is what touched my heart. It's been four years, that I have been travelling by train but the first time, that I experienced such generosity and purity of heart.

The destination was the same as usual but it was this journey that changed me.

The Sunday Visitor.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful and heart-warming story! This woman's face radiates light and love. How wonderful it is when someone breaks the pattern of silence and reaches out in kindness. A smile can warm the darkest day, in her world no one is a stranger, that's a lesson that you also know and practice well! This was a lovely post, we need more stories like this, of people doing good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Praise God, he gives me the chance to meet these lovely people and learn from them. I agree with you. You put it so beautifully.

      Delete
  2. I can recall at least two separate instances in which I came away from meeting someone new thinking to myself that I had been given a rare gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! I'm glad he gave you that wonderful opportunity!

      Delete
  3. Such a delightful story. I prefer to travel by train, but most passenger trains in Canada have gone out of existence. A quick and economical way to travel over short to medium distances. Long distance means a plane.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I love travelling by train. That's sad to know. Train journeys have a charm of their own.

      Delete
  4. When I was in college I traveled by train or bus quite a bit. You used to be able to meet such interesting people. Now with electronic devices everyone tends to keep more to themselves.

    What a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, Praise God! I'm glad you got to meet such nice and interesting people too. I agree with you.

      Delete
  5. Human generosity and warmth has become so rare. Glad you got to experience it this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. People mostly keep to themselves so I'm glad I got this opprtunity :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Ms. S.V. :) ~~ Thank you for this tale. It has made me think and I will be for a bit. I like to meet new people. This week for a few days I became acquainted with a nice young lady, a friend of our daughter. It turns out she was from a neighboring mid-west state where I grew up and she had grown up in an atmosphere much like mine. We had a lot in common.

    BTW, I am liking the trains where I am visiting. We have literally no public transportation in the state of Texas nor in its cities. A few busses still run in some.
    ..
    I like the format of your blog. Really neat the way you do it in diary fashion.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts