Sound Of Music

Dear Diary,

                   A friend recently asked me, what kind of music I liked, and what my favourite genre was. I answered her question, but without a doubt, that set the wheels of my mind churning. Why is music ,classified into the genres we know?  Pop, Hip Hop, Rap, Bass, Reggae, Jazz, Gospel, Sufi, Bollywood. Why does it need classification?

                   Personally, for me music is not stereotyped or generalised. It's not just lyrics, paired with a background score. It's much more. It's something that touches the heart, and soothes your soul. Makes you remember, the sound long after it's over, and makes you smile, just at the thought of it.

                 Music can be found, in the laughter of a child, the heart beat of a loved one, the pattering of the raindrops, the gentle lapping of the waves on the seashore,the whisper of the wind, the song of the bird, the hum of a tune, the sweet sound of the whistle.

                  People may disagree with me on this. For a majority, they are just sounds, but if you listen closely, attentively and with all your soul, you will realize, that it is indeed music. Music at it's natural best. Better than the piano, or the guitar is the music that you hear, with your heart.

                 Music is all around us, present in every aspect of our lives. Today, we celebrate World Music Day. If you're a true music lover, keep aside your earphones, for a while just absorb the real music around you. Be sentient: Experience the pulsating beat and tap your feet in time with the music.

Leaving you with some food for thought:

Music is to the soul , what words are to the mind.

The Sunday Visitor.

                
                 

Comments

  1. well said sunday visitor music for me is a stressbuster , it soothes my pain and brings life back to me
    thanks for mentioning music

    ReplyDelete
  2. music has to cater for everyone that is why it has been divided into many genre's.... bcoz all human beings don't have the same thinking !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always puzzled by people who embrace music in only one form and exclude all the others, there is beauty to be found in all forms of music, and all sources, just as you point out. To me, the most beautiful music is the sound of waves lapping in peaceful rhythm against the shore. I adore the music of thunder and the howling of the wind too! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that music too. We do have a lot in common. I'm blessed to stay in a city very close to the sea, so I get to hear that sound regularly but still it soothes me and amazes me everytime I hear it. Thank you so much for your encouraging comments!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts