V is for Villain


Dear Diary,

                     For V, I have chosen the word Villain.

I know quite different right?

As a student of Literature, I'm learning to look at characters objectively. Now that is very difficult  trust me. When you read a book, it's so easy to identify yourself with the protagonist, and put your worst enemy in the antagonists position, but if you ever think long and hard enough you realise that, in most stories sometimes you may not remember the name of the protagonist, but the name of the antagonist immediately pops up, that's the kind of impression that a villain has.

There will come a time when you may forget Harry Potter but never 'Lord Voldemort' or "He who must not be named.' You may not remember the fairy tales you loved as a kid, but definitely recollect that the wicked witch and evil queen were the villains in them. You will forget Antonio and Bassanio, but Shylock is forever ingrained in your mind.

The villain is someone we all love to hate, but we don't realise that it's he/she who acts as a foil to the hero, and highlights his good qualities, by being the bad guy. The protagonist would be nothing without the evil and menacing villain. Sometimes you just have to be the bad guy, to show people what they are capable of. You have to push them off the cliff because only then will they learn to spread their wings and fly.

Leaving you with a quote I like,




Thanking my stars for the villains in my life,

The Sunday Visitor.




Comments

  1. I wonder how my kids look at me LOL

    Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Waves 'hi' from the blog hop-

    Great point and, many times, the villain is way more interesting than the hero of a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. // we don't realise that it's he/she who acts as a foil to the hero, and highlights his good qualities, by being the bad guy.

    beautifully written!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quote is so right. Villains play an important role, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Thanks for the interesting piece
    V for Villain, an essential character in any story and in life too LOL
    Sorry again to say that the letters are very small and the white in black background giving trouble to eyes, LOL
    and also the quote is not readable, increase the picture size to medium or large
    Best Thanks for the comment at g+
    Best
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for visiting my blog. I'm sorry that you had to undergo so much difficulty while reading the blogpost! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep it in mind !

      Delete
  6. Yours is the second villain blog today. Interesting post. I tend to remember the hero more than the villain. But if I'm being honest, every once in a while I like the villain more than the hero because of his/her depth of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Villain is an interesting character, and sometimes we can't help but fall in love with the villain.

      Delete
  7. Great post thank you! You're right the villain is he one we remember, maybe because we can identify with him/her in an unconscious way? The goody two shoes is quickly forgotten but provides the perfect foil to the baddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! That's true, i never thought of it like that, but you do have a point!

      Delete
  8. It's true to say all works of literature need a bad guy (or girl) and some of the best villains are ones that reel in the characters we identify like Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights - visiting somewhat late in the challenge

    David

    http://britsintheus23.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting theory.

    Villains are certainly interesting but if they're more memorable than the hero, the writer is doing it wrong.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Villains in our lives allow us to reveal our true selves in how we respond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting perspective about being the bad guy. I agree the bad guy is memorable, and shows us the good guy is good, but not sure we have to become the bad guy somewhere along the line. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was indeed an interesting twist in your writing and I ended up really liking where you went with it! Once again you are correct! If not for the villains in our lives, no matter how nasty they appear in the moment or our memories, how would we have known it was time to make a change or move on, or at least do something differently! I had an ex who told me that I needed to "stop feeling sorry for myself". I was so angry at the time he said it, since he was the one who had created my sorrow. But I turned that anger into motivation to show him that he was wrong, and stopped swimming in my pity pool and marched firmly on to greener pastures, so in the end, he was good motivation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Earlier I used to hate the villain, but now I tend to look at him as a character who brings out the best in others. You did well and I feel so proud of you!! That was a lovely way to go about it! I'm sure he would have to bite back his own words looking at you now :) You're my inspiration!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts