N is for NAME


Dear Diary,

                           For today's blogpost, I have chosen this word Name.

It sounds very simple, Names are quite common. Something universal that we all share. That's it. What's there to talk about it you may ask? Well everyone and everything has a name, and  every name has some ambitions and expectations attached to it.

If you are named after an ancestor or a parent,  you are expected to follow in their footsteps, behave like them and achieve the same goals that they did. If you are named after a certain celebrity or book character you are expected to show traits peculiar to them.

Every name, has a story behind it. people may know your name, but they definitely don't know the STORY.

 I came across this quote a while back," Sometimes it seems that most of us are wrongly named or maybe we shape our lives to make the names wrong."  Names are an extension of ourselves, our identities are associated with them. A name is the one of the only thing that stays long after a person dies the other being his memories.What kind of a name remains, that depends on the kind of life that was lived. A good name always manages to keep it's lustre even in the dark, it never fades away.

As for me, I don't want to be famous but when I die, I want people to remember me by my name and say that 'She was a good soul.' That's not too hard to ask for or is it?

leaving you with a thought provoking proverb :



 The Sunday Visitor.


              

Comments

  1. I love to contemplate names and see if there are similarities in the people, I have known several named David, Bill, John, Carrie, Terri, etc. If I have had a good experience with those people, when I meet someone new by that name I have positive expectations. If not, I have to look a little harder to find new things to like to associate with this name. Names are important, and as you point out, more important is the content of our character, what people will associate with our name when we are no longer here. I also want to be remembered as kind, to me that is the greatest tribute. Someday I hope to live up to that ideal! :-) In some cultures, new names are given when a child becomes an adult, I think that would be a great idea, and our names might suit us better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised to hear about that practice. I never knew it existed, but it would be really nice to change a name for something that suits us even better than the previous ones.

      Delete
  2. Your post reminded me of a joke I heard. Three men are discussing what they'd like to hear people say about them at their funerals.

    The first wanted people to say, "He did a lot for his community."

    The second wanted people to say, "He was a great father."

    The first wanted someone to say, "Hey! I think I just saw him move!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for sharing this joke with me. It made my evening :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts