X is for XOXO

Dear Diary,

  First up I apologise for not writing yesterday, I was not well and the Doctor had advised complete rest. The medicines that he recommended were so strong that I spent a great majority of the day sleeping, so I'm uploading the post for X today.


 For X, I got the inspiration from a note that a close friend had attached with my birthday gift. She ended the note with XOXO. I was curious to know about this new kind of  closing salutation  that has fast replaced the old ones like 'Regards, Sincerely.Yours Faithfully.'


 I did a little research and I'm truly amazed by what I found. XOXO means 'Hugs and Kisses' and traces it's origins back to Middle Ages. As people were mostly illiterate they used to sign important documents with an X as it was a simple mark and  a reference to the cross. They would often follow their signature by kissing that X to demonstrate their sincerity. 


 When Jewish immigrants arrived in the U.S, instead of an X they used an O, as they did not want anything  to do with Christ. Combined with the familiar Christian use of an “X” signifying the oath sealed with a kiss, the “O” was likely then adapted to mean hugs.

It's really weird how two seemingly inconspicuous words when strung together mean something else entirely. 

Sometimes, it's Ok to break the rules. Let them go for a toss. Be different. Try it. For a change end you letters, e-mails, notes with XOXO. Pass on the literal Hugs and Kisses. Make someone's day.



 The Sunday Visitor.

Comments

  1. Glad to see you are feeling better. I never knew this about XOXO. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I learnt about it recently. Your welcome!

      Delete
  2. That is so history about the xo thank you - I had no idea! Really hope you're feeling better.
    so here's an xoxo to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very True. Same here, I was intrigued and I did a little research. Thankyou so much for XOXO they made my day.

      Delete
  3. Hope you're feeling better and "X" was a toughie for a lot of people :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope you are feeling better! Being sick when spring is bursting forth is so very "not fun." (I speak from experience.)

    Hope you are soon better. In the meantime, XOXO. Or better still:

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun choice for "X." Thanks for the history lesson. I'm glad to know you're feeling somewhat better. And since I'm late reading and commenting, I hope you're ALL better by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm Well. Thankyou so much. I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  6. I realized this too only when searching for word for X :P
    I too had my visit to the doctor and was in some pain for few days! Anyways all well now. Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what one can find with a little research :)

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to read that you were sick last week, and I'm certainly glad you are feeling ok again. I loved this post about X's and O's because I use XOXO all the time both on FB and in my emails to friends. To me, it is a short way to say I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts