Time offers perspective

Dear Diary, 

Today, as I chatted with one of my favorite professors, we spoke about a particularly difficult time in my life ( to cut a long story short : toxic work environment). She was surprised that it was over a year and I had not mentioned it even once. 

Only a handful people, the ones closest to me, who saw my anguish and suffering, knew what happened and were by side, supporting me through it all. I did not talk to anyone, for fear of being rebuked or for 'poisoning the well' so to speak. People whom I liked and respected, after listening to only one half of the story(not mine), thought that they had the right to pass judgements and reprimand me. 

After having a honest heart to heart with her I realised how wrong I was. She supported me, my decision and it suddenly dawned on me, in my fear, I had withdrawn into a shell, but that way I also distanced myself from others who really cared about me. 

The one year that has passed in between has given me the time to recover, to heal a little more every day. All credit goes to my family and my friends. They kept me going, reminding me of the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Time has given me perspective and for that I'm grateful. 

The Sunday Visitor. 

Comments

Popular Posts