Mistakes


Dear Diary,

I remember as a kid on open house day, when I used to go with my mum to collect my report card, parents chastising their kids for losing marks in Maths or social sciences. The girl would invariably walk with her head low, ashamed that was unable to match up to her parents expectations.

It saddens my heart when parents are hard on their children for small mistakes. Mistakes after all are human and above all they are a proof of the effort that has been put in. It is necessary that we learn from our mistakes and never repeat them, but allowing ourselves to be defined by our mistakes is absolutely wrong.

Some of the best inventions were made through mistakes, Edison tried innumerable times before he finally got the bulb right. He saw his mistakes as stepping stones rather than a burden. We should do that too.

Some food for thought.

The Sunday Visitor.

Comments

  1. I have two children, and I can honestly say I never chastised them in that way. I hate to see parents do that.

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that :) Fortunately my parents too are pretty cool and never gave that much importance to numbers.

      Delete
  2. Mistakes are good so long as we learn from them and try not to repeat again and again. And I completely agree -- some of the world's greatest inventions started out as mistakes -- thank goodness they weren't discarded as such. Great visiting with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Absolutely where would we be, if they were? Hard to imagine. Thankyou for visiting :)

      Delete
  3. I promised that I would never do that to my son. All I asked was that he do his best. If his grade dropped because of not doing the homework or not studying, then we had a long talk about work/responsibility and I would make him do his work at the kitchen table for 2 weeks, under my nose. But if he was trying and still couldn't get it - well, not everyone can be good at everything. (And there were times when I didn't understand a math problem and couldn't help him with it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very nice way of handling the situation. very rightly said :)

      Delete
  4. So true. Mistakes can help us shape into a better person, only if we can take them in the right spirit :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts