Win some, lose some.

Dear Diary,

First off, I ask pardon for not writing yesterday, I was occupied with some work and by the time I finished it, it was too late to blog.

For W, I recommend: Win some, lose some.

This incident happened a month ago. While my friend and I were waiting for our sandwiches, a mother and son passed us. The son in a football jersey  was dejected with his head hanging low and a football in his hands while the mother was angry and kept berating him. They were returning from a football match which I assume the boy lost and therefore the bombarding. My friend affirmed my assumptions.

I was baffled by what I had witnessed. A walk down memory lane reminded me of how supportive my parents were when I lost a competition and how they encouraged me to try again without losing heart. Gone are the days when Participation is what mattered; now it’s winning.

That’s why I recommend ‘Win some, lose some.’

That does not mean to lose on purpose but merely not be disappointed. In life everyday is a battle. It’s impossible to win all of them. No single King in History was undefeated in his conquests. Win some battles and lose some because loss and failure can teach you a lot many things that success cannot. It’s necessary to have a taste of everything in life.



 The Sunday visitor


Comments

  1. People get SO defeated by games in sports--both fans and athletes. I know some games are really important...and maybe that boy's team had lost every game that season. Still, as you said, there will be many more challenges ahead and he'll win some and lose some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Stephanie, they take it very personally and stop realising that it's a game after all.

      Delete
  2. My heart goes out to this boy and to all the children who have parents that forget to teach them what you know - we do win some and lose some in life, and failure should not be a thing of defeat, blame or shame. Use it as a stepping stone to move on and work hard to do better. Encouragement is so much more effective than being derision! Great post, important message, Judy girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie I felt so sad looking at the boy, I was really upset that day but some parents are just so hell bent on seeing their children succeed that they can't take anything less than perfection.

      Delete
  3. because loss and failure can teach you...many things that success cannot. It’s necessary to have a taste of everything in life-- This is beautifully stated, and I agree wholeheartedly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wise person who realizes that children need encouragement and reassurance when they lose anything they're involved in.

    J.L. Campbell writes at The Character Depot and the Jamaican Kid Lit Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pressure the poor kid must feel from his mother. This can be devastating for the child. An important message through this post today. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad being a spectator I can't imagine what the boy was facing.

      Delete
  6. It is so sad when people don't seem to realise that winning isn't everything. If you've had a good go, that is what is important. My parents have always been supportive through my whole life (even with this madness of becoming a writer :)).
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i so agree with u :) my parents always taught me dat participation is wat matters. bt now wen i look at some ppl, it seems like that word isnt der in their dictionary at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reminded of Kipling's words:
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts