Xenophile!


Dear Diary,

For X,I recommend : Xenophile.



Let me be frank and admit it, I’m a Xenophile. Xenophilia is described as love of foreigner while Xenophobia is a fear of them.  

Every place has it’s own share of visitors. While one can choose to grumble about them like I have noticed in some places, or accept them for who they are, because after all we are foreigners everywhere except in our homeland.

Why I call myself a Xenophile is because I love observing people, especially foreigners. I tend to strike conversations with them asking them how they are enjoying their stay, which places they have visited, recommend them some nice tourist spots in the city etc. In addition to it, learning a foreign language has helped me broaden my horizons and deepen my Xenophilia. (I may come across as creepy. But I’m harmless J)

That's me!



I’m curious about people, their cultures and lifestyles and often in my conversation with foreigners learn a lot about their country and them in the process. While I detested Geography in school, being a Xenophile has helped me improve my knowledge.

The Sunday Visitor

Comments

  1. that's a nice trait u have....in our country where we believe that "athithi" is "dev"....its people like u who make the visitors experience worthwhile and some thing to take back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great x word. I'm sure you don't come off as creepy as you may think. When people go on vacation they expect to engage with the people of the culture. Otherwise they could stay at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xenophile - sounds like a great way to be. I am sure you don't come across as creepy at all. I utterly, utterly suck at languages, but other cultures are fascinating.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Natasha! Other cultures are always intriguing and the best way to know about them is to talk to people :)

      Delete
  4. That's actually something nice :) Absolutely not creepy. And as you have experienced, it only helps one expand one's knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love talking to foreigners too and learning about their cultures, but I don't get the chance much. I don't live in a place people often visit, but when I visit someone else, I often see tourists in that area. :-)
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun chatting with tourists and an occasion to learn a lot.

      Delete
  6. Keep up the curiosity and openness :) It is a good quality to have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to meet another Xenophile :)

      Delete
  8. I live about five minutes from the Grand Ole Opry, so we can't go out to eat without encountering tourists! In fact, the big touristy mall and hotel (Opryland/Opry Mills) is just down the road. I find myself having vacation envy when I'm surrounded by tourists. It always reminds me that it's been too long since we've been on a trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it as I often feel the same way looking at the tourists flocking my city.

      Delete
  9. I'm guilty of people watching and taking notes in my character notebook. One of the things I love about Disneyland or Las Vegas are the wild mix of people you run into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely there's so much to learn from watching people. It's one of my favorite pass times.

      Delete
  10. We have a lot of tourists where I am and it's fun to watch them and talk to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. woah!! am more of a xenophobic! nvr try n strike conversations with foreigners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will get over your xenophobia soon.

      Delete
  12. I can call myself a xenophile. It's just being open-minded and having a healthy curiosity about people. Nothing creepy about it.
    Apart from interacting with foreigners who visit India, I make it a point to interact with locals when I go abroad and to have the local food and drink.
    I have an added advantage that I can quickly get accustomed to different accents and pronunciations, and that I am an adventurous eater.
    Just one point: not just with foreigners, I am open-minded and have a healthy curiosity about people from other parts of India as well. Many Indian xenophiles tend to be judgemental about fellow-Indians.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts